Glass City Half Marathon Training: Week Thirteen

Unlucky week thirteen. I ended up coming down with a cold mid-week which put a damper on my training, but I was still able to get all of my mileage done. Three more weeks until race day and I am ready to be done with training. More so, I am over this cold weather! We’ve had a few really beautiful days, but then the temperatures take a nose dive and bring us back to winter. I’m ready for sweaty tank top running.

Monday: 6 miles, easy
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: 10 miles – 1 mile w/u, 4 x 2 mile, 1 mile c/d
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 4 miles, easy
Saturday: 6 miles, easy
Sunday: 12 miles, easy
Total Miles: 38

The first half of the week I was really tired. Not training-fatigue tired, more like in-bed-by-7:30 tired (seriously though). My Wednesday speed work was a big one and it went great. I had planned to move my core & stability work to Thursday, but when I woke up Thursday I was starting to feel congested. Thursday night I popped some Mucinex and went to bed. When I woke up I didn’t feel great, but attempted a run in hopes it would help get things moving. By mile 3 I felt exhausted and decided I needed to give into my sickness and go back to bed. I stayed home Friday and was asleep on the couch most of the day.

I realized Friday night that I had accidentally bought/taken a maximum strength Mucinex both Thrusday night and Friday morning which is way too high of a dosage for me. Luckily we actually had some regular strength at home so I took that Friday night and when I woke up Saturday morning I still had a cold, but was feeling more normal. Lesson learned – I have to make sure to read the package. Saturday morning I headed out and just did 6 easy miles around the neighborhood. There was a lot of stopping to blow my nose, but my heart rate was more normal than Friday and I felt better overall. Then the monster winds began with gusts up to 60 mph. It was crazy! I didn’t mind though, I spent the rest of the day on the couch watching Fixer Upper and drinking tea.


Saturday night my husband and I went out to a nearby Vietnamese restaurant that we like so I could get some Pho. The warm broth and noodles really made me feel better. On the way home there were high winds and snow blowing all over the place – luckily none of it stuck. When I woke up this morning it was cold out, in the 20s. Hello Mother Nature, winter is over! I headed down to the local trail to get in my 12 miles and decided to leave my HR monitor behind and just keep it around a 10:30 pace.

It took so long to get warmed up, but miles 5-8 I actually felt really good. I did have to take a break about every 2 miles to blow my nose, but it was disgustingly refreshing in a way only a runner can understand. By the end of the run my lungs hurt from the cold air. After a hot shower and a hot cup of tea I felt better. I took a great afternoon nap and am starting to feel back to normal, so hopefully I continue in that direction.

Jumping back to Wednesday’s speed work. This was a big one and I was admittedly a little nervous heading into it. I found the 2 mile repeats really worked for me since the run was broken up. I would tell myself, “Just 1.5 to go!” “Just 1 mile to go!” and then during my recovery break convince myself that it was “only 2 more miles.” After the second set I ate a Honey Stinger gel since it was a total of 10 miles and I hadn’t eaten before going out. I actually ended up enjoying this work out.

Another fun thing from this week was my company’s annual mini-golf tournament. After our company quarterly meeting we spent the next hour or so playing mini-golf around the office. My team didn’t win, but I did pretty well scoring 18 strokes on a 9 hole course.

Mini-golf at the office
Mini-golf at the office

Now I’m heading into peak week which will round out with a 14 mile long run. My friend Tim that is running the half with me is in town for part of the week for business so he is going to run with me on Wednesday. It will be a rare evening run for me and the weather is calling for rain, but I’m looking forward to getting to run together. Hopefully my cold will be gone or at least close to gone by then. I’ll be sleeping in both Tuesday and Wednesday so maybe the extra sleep will do the trick.


5 thoughts on “Glass City Half Marathon Training: Week Thirteen

  1. Hanna @ TheMillennialNextDoor

    Wow, that’s amazing that you got so much running done while you were sick! Way to go!

    What did you do for your rest intervals during your speed work? Did you just stop?


    1. That’s not the norm for me, but it seemed like Sunday’s 12 miler was just what I needed because after a hot shower and awesome nap I started feeling much better! I just rest for a minute to a minute and a half between intervals. I found my heart rate drops much quicker when I do that so it’s more productive than trying to walk or jog a specific distance between intervals.


  2. I’m glad you are starting to feel better! It seems like peak spring training weeks always seem to coincide with a round of spring colds. A lot of my colleagues have been out sick in the past few weeks so I’ve been extra diligent with hand washing and hand sanitizer.

    Your 4 x 2 mile workout sounds like an awesome workout. Lots of hard miles, but broken up to be a bit less intimidating.


    1. Thank you! Yeah March seems to be the time when those last winter colds make the rounds. It seems like staying home Friday and sleeping for most of Friday and Saturday really helped.
      Breaking up that workout into shorter intervals was definitely great mentally. I have a full 8 mile tempo this week though so we’ll see how that goes!

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s